Sunday 7 February 2010

no other gods

"I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing."" - Psalm 16:2 (NIV)

"The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing." - Psalm 34:10 (NIV)

"For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favour and honour; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless." - Psalm 84:11 (NIV)

God - in His sovereign grace - can (and does) give us good gifts which we neither ask for nor deserve. But above all, God gives us the best thing, His presence!

Flee from Idolatry

Talking to myself I inquired, "Why are you so down?" I discovered that it was clearly because of ___. Pondering why ___ had such an impact upon me, I came to the realisation that ___ had become an idol in my life. An idol is someone or something that one looks to meet the thirsts of the heart. There was nothing wrong with ___, but I needed to get my heart right with God.

The Lord drew my attention to 1 Corinthians 10:14, which contains the command to "flee from idolatry".

- Bill Thrasher, Believing God for His Best

Idolatry is the most serious and contaminating sin there is. And the reason is because it strikes directly at the character of God. And once you have adulterated the character of God, you have lost the guidelines for any other moral judgment. And so Pandora's box is open and everything is going to be chaos unless there is the right perspective of God.

I think there's no question but that idolatry is the most serious and contaminating of all the sins because it strikes directly at the character of God. That's why out of the Ten Commandments the first three of them are directly related to idolatry. Because that's the beginning of everything. If you don't have the true perspective on God, then everything is lost.

- John MacArthur, The Truth About Idolatry

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." - Psalm 73:25-26 (NIV)

Links: Why are you so down? (16 Oct 09), Hope in God (11 May 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment