Friday 18 June 2010

UYCU Leavers' Retreat: Great is Thy Faithfulness

For some reason, several people whom I know personally have been facing severe trials, temptations and tests of faith recently. Perhaps God is calling me to spend more time praying and interceding for them.

Grace which saves

"Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess.

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathise with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet was without sin.

"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

- Hebrews 4:14-16 (NIV)

Grace which sanctifies

"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man.

"And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.

"But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."

- 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

Grace which is sufficient

"To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.

"Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.

"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

"That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

- 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 (NIV)

UYCU Leavers' Retreat

In the midst of all this, God graciously gave me the opportunity to spend 3 amazing days (Tue to Thu) in the Yorkshire Dales with my fellow York CU leavers/final years.


As we were sharing about our experiences at university over the past 3 years, I was reminded time and again that God is faithful and He will provide.

Great is Thy Faithfulness

"I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:

"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."

"The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD."

- Lamentations 3:19-26 (NIV)

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father
There is no shadow of turning with Thee
Thou changest not; Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning, new mercies I see
All I have needed, Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Milestone Verses

Sam: "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" - Philippians 4:4 (NIV)

SJ: "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me... The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." - Psalm 51:10-12, 17 (NIV)

Ellie: "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." - Matthew 6:33 (NIV)

Katie: "The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." - Deuteronomy 31:8 (NIV)

Dave: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

Thus far has the LORD helped us

This leavers' retreat was my 8th and last week(end) away with York CU. With this, my time at university is coming to an end. But God willing, a new chapter of my life is just beginning. As Susie put it, 'God knows what He's doing and where He's taking us'.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

"Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

- Hebrews 12:1-3 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment