Wednesday 9 June 2010

Prone to Wander

I'm reading the Bible in one year and the Old Testament readings for Jun 18 and 22 are 1 Kings 3:16-5:18 and 9:10-11:13 respectively.

"God gave Solomon wisdom and very great insight, and a breadth of understanding as measureless as the sand on the seashore." - 1 Kings 4:29 (NIV)

"As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been." - 1 Kings 11:4 (NIV)

If Solomon's wisdom did not keep him from turning his heart after other gods, how much more are our hearts prone to wander - but for the grace of God!

O to grace, how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter
Bind my wandering heart to Thee

Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart, O take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above

No comments:

Post a Comment