Friday 30 April 2010

The (W)right Move


The Bishop of Durham, Dr N. T. Wright, has announced that he will be retiring from the See of Durham on August 31. He has been appointed to a Chair in New Testament and Early Christianity at St Andrews.

So in a surprise move, N. T. Wright (my favourite theologian) is leaving the Church of England to return to the academic world. He has explained that his 'continuing vocation to be a writer, teacher and broadcaster, for the benefit of the wider world and church, has been increasingly difficult to combine with the complex demands and duties of a diocesan bishop'. But part of me wonders whether his decision has anything to do with the current crisis in the Church of England.

Anyway, I think this is a good move for both him and St Andrews. I'm just glad I managed to catch him in York in one of his last few months as the Bishop of Durham.

On another note, N. T. Wright is, as I have previously suspected (see here and here), a lifelong supporter of recently-promoted Newcastle United FC.

"I breathed a huge sigh of relief when Newcastle United were promoted," he said. "It is always a worry when a team goes down that they will become disheartened and fall to the bottom of the league, but this has been a great season." I approve!

No comments:

Post a Comment