Friday 23 April 2010

By Grace Alone

"Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness." - Romans 4:4-5 (NIV)

We do not earn our salvation as an obligation. We receive our salvation as a gift. We do not work for our salvation. We work out our salvation.

(Of course, just because salvation is a gift does not mean that it is only given to some. On the contrary, salvation is given to all and only received by some.)

"For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them - yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. Whether, then, it was I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed." - 1 Corinthians 15:9-10 (NIV)

"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed - not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence - continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose." - Philippians 2:12-13 (NIV)

"We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labour, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me." - Colossians 1:28-29 (NIV)

*****

If salvation is by grace alone, we cannot earn it. If we cannot earn our salvation, what makes us think that we can earn anything else? If we cannot earn our salvation, how much more can we not earn a degree, a job, a husband/wife?

Links: Grace-Driven Effort (11 Jun 10), Grace and Growth (29 Jun 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment