Tuesday 7 September 2010

When Trials Come

I'm reading the Bible in one year and the Old Testament reading for Sep 16 is Isaiah 38:1-40:31.

But what can I say? He has spoken to me, and he himself has done this. I will walk humbly all my years because of this anguish of my soul.

Lord, by such things men live; and my spirit finds life in them too. You restored me to health and let me live.

Surely it was for my benefit that I suffered such anguish. In your love you kept me from the pit of destruction; you have put all my sins behind your back.

For the grave cannot praise you, death cannot sing your praise; those who go down to the pit cannot hope for your faithfulness.

The living, the living - they praise you, as I am doing today; fathers tell their children about your faithfulness.

- Isaiah 38:15-19 (NIV)

God knows what we need and when we need it. His will is exactly what we would desire if we knew all the facts.

"The will of God will never place us where the grace of God cannot keep us." - Anonymous

When trials come, He will not let us be tempted beyond what we can bear.

"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

God will not withhold anything from us unless it is for His glory and our good. In the first place, He has not spared His own Son, but has given Him up for us all.

"He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all - how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?" - Romans 8:32 (NIV)

Surely it was for my benefit that I suffered such anguish!

Listen to Joseph.

"You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives." - Genesis 50:20 (NIV)

And Job.

"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." - Job 1:21 (NIV)

And Paul.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." - Romans 8:28 (NIV)

When trials come no longer fear
For in the pain our God draws near
To fire a faith worth more than gold
And there His faithfulness is told
And there His faithfulness is told

Within the night I know Your peace
The breath of God brings strength to me
And new each morning mercy flows
As treasures of the darkness grow
As treasures of the darkness grow

I turn to wisdom not my own
For every battle You have known
My confidence will rest in You
Your love endures Your ways are good
Your love endures Your ways are good

No comments:

Post a Comment