Friday 16 October 2009

Why are you so down?

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, "Where is your God?" These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God, with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng.

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Saviour and my God...

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Saviour and my God.

- Psalm 42:1-6, 11 (NIV)

Idols of the Heart

Talking to myself I inquired, "Why are you so down?" I discovered that it was clearly because of ___. Pondering why ___ had such an impact upon me, I came to the realisation that ___ had become an idol in my life. An idol is someone or something that one looks to meet the thirsts of the heart. There was nothing wrong with ___, but I needed to get my heart right with God.

The Lord drew my attention to 1 Corinthians 10:14, which contains the command to "flee from idolatry".

- Bill Thrasher, Believing God for His Best

As I was reading Believing God for His Best again last night, it struck me for the first time that 1 Corinthians 10:14 is founded on 1 Corinthians 10:13 (one of my favourite verses).

In philosophy, a conclusion is founded on its premises. In theology, a command is founded on its promises!

1 Corinthians

The command to 'flee from idolatry' (1 Corinthians 10:14, NIV) is founded on the promises that:

1. No temptation has seized us except what is common to man.
2. God is faithful; He will not let us be tempted beyond what we can bear.
3. When we are tempted, God will also provide a way out so that we can stand up under it.

"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

"Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry." - 1 Corinthians 10:14 (NIV)

2 Corinthians

Likewise, the command to boast in the Lord (2 Corinthians 12:9b) is founded on the assurance that His grace is sufficient for us (2 Corinthians 12:9a).

"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."" - 2 Corinthians 12:9a (NIV)

"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9b (NIV)

Romans

Again, the command to 'offer [our] bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God' (Romans 12:1, NIV) is founded on the vision of Romans 1 to 11.

"Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! "Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counsellor?" "Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him?" For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen." - Romans 11:33-36 (NIV)

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will." - Romans 12:1-2 (NIV)

Hebrews

Finally, the command to 'throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and run with perseverance the race marked out for us' (Hebrews 12:1, NIV) is founded on the faithfulness of Christ (Hebrews 1 to 10) and our forefathers (Hebrews 11).

"These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect." - Hebrews 11:39-40 (NIV)

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." - Hebrews 12:1-3 (NIV)

Links: no other gods (7 Feb 10), Hope in God (11 May 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment