Wednesday 7 October 2009

Manchester

I'm safely back in York now, after visiting Sarah in Manchester on my way back from Singapore. It was nice to catch up with Sarah and meet some of the Singaporeans studying in Manchester as well.


We visited Grace Baptist Church in Stockport (a neighbouring town) on Sunday. Its Reformed roots reminded me of the Calvin Anniversary Conferences. Incidentally, Grace Baptist Church was recommended by Mun Fai and Eileen, a Singaporean couple whom I met in Geneva. Just before I left for Manchester, they put me in touch with Timothy, a Singaporean studying in Manchester who was baptised and became a member of Grace Baptist Church earlier this year.

I was planning to visit Manchester Cathedral after the morning service at Grace Baptist Church, but God had other plans! I ended up going for lunch and spending the afternoon at the Talas (a church family) with Sarah, Timothy and Qianling (another Singaporean studying in Manchester), before heading back to Grace Baptist Church for the evening service. It was a very worthwhile day indeed.


And so God led me to Manchester Cathedral on Monday morning, where I met a Chinese girl (by the name of Zhao Han) who was curious about Christianity, churches and cathedrals in the UK. Actually, I was taking photos when she approached me and asked me where I was from, and whether I believe in God. She's actually studying in Bangor in Wales and just happened to be in Manchester for the day - what are the chances of that!

I managed to share the gospel with her and even pass her a FREE gospel (I keep a FREE gospel in my bag for situations like these). I also asked her for her email address and sent her the links to Bangor Christian Union and Chinese gospel resources. I hope and pray that she may find out more about God, and that she may even find God. Praise the Lord!


After that, I met Sarah for lunch and we made our way to Old Trafford for a tour of the home of the Red Devils. I'm not a Manchester United fan, but beyond the footballing rivalries, I must say that the Theatre of Dreams is pretty impressive. What struck me the most though, was the story of the 1958 Munich Air Disaster which killed 8 players in the prime of their lives. I had heard the story before, but to hear it again while viewing the displays in memory of the incident helped me to put things into perspective.

The legendary Liverpool manager Bill Shankly once said that 'some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that'. At the end of the day though, football is but a hobby on the road to eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment