Monday 19 October 2009

Further Reflections

I have received many words (and verses!) of encouragement in response to my Masters Update and I thank God for each of them. Together, they have helped to shape these further reflections.

Firstly, God is sovereign.

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." - Proverbs 16:9 (NIV)

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." - Proverbs 19:21 (NIV)

Secondly, God has planned something better.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.

"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

- Isaiah 55:8-11 (NIV)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

Thirdly, it is God's timing for me to return to Singapore.

During my national service from Jan 05 to Nov 06, I spent most of my time hoping that I could disrupt from national service and come to York in Oct 05, or at least Oct 06. But looking back, Oct 07 was exactly the right time for me to come to York. Going mysteriously forward, I trust that Jul 10 will be exactly the right time for me to return to Singapore.

The best is yet to be!

All things work for our good
Though sometimes we can't see how they could
Struggles that break our hearts in two
Sometimes blind us to the truth

Our Father knows what's best for us
His ways are not our own
So when your pathway grows dim
And you just can't see Him
Remember you're never alone

God is too wise to be mistaken
God is too good to be unkind
So when you don't understand
When you don't see His plan
When you can't trace His hand
Trust His heart

Links: Masters Update (8 Oct 09), Father, although I cannot see the future You have planned (11 Oct 09)

No comments:

Post a Comment