Thursday 8 October 2009

Masters Update

For those of you who might not know the full story, I am studying at the University of York in the UK on a Singapore Government Scholarship. I will be returning to Singapore to work for the Singapore Prison Service after I graduate. I am currently in the final year of a 3-year degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) and have been praying about the possibility of pursuing a 1-year Masters in PPE after my degree, also at the University of York.

In August this year, I went for an interview for Masters funding with the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), my scholarship body. Following the interview, I also submitted a set of justifications for my preferred course of study. MHA has since informed me that after much consideration, my application for Masters funding has been unsuccessful. As things stand, it looks like I will be returning to Singapore for good in July 2010.

Amidst the news that my application for Masters funding has been unsuccessful, I know that 'in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose' (Romans 8:28, NIV). As Bill Thrasher (author of Believing God for His Best) puts it, God's will is exactly what you would desire if you knew all the facts. In the first place, the opportunity to study at the University of York on a Singapore Government Scholarship for 3 years is already more, far more than what I deserve.

For those of you who have been praying for me and wishing me well in my application for Masters funding, thank you for all your prayers and well-wishes. Regardless of where I go from here, God has always provided all I have needed, and He will continue to lead and guide me in the days ahead.

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning, new mercies I see
All I have needed, Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Thank you for taking the time to read thus far. I pray that you may experience the faithfulness of God in your life too.

"Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him." - Psalm 37:3-7a (NIV)

Links: Father, although I cannot see the future You have planned (11 Oct 09), Further Reflections (19 Oct 09)

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that, Luke. Sounds like getting a ministry to approve is tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Luke,
    I've been really blessed reading your post.
    I'm very sorry to hear about your Masters. However, i'm sure God has a greater plan for you. Just continue to delight in Him and he will add all things accordingly.
    Wish you a wonderful and blessed time in York in the next few months. Love and Prayers,
    Chuba

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best in your studies Luke.
    Looking forward to see you again.

    Jimmy, A4

    ReplyDelete