Thursday 16 December 2010

True Gain

I'm reading the Bible in one year and the Old Testament reading for Dec 16 is Malachi 2:17-4:6.

"You have said, 'It is futile to serve God. What did we gain by carrying out his requirements and going about like mourners before the LORD Almighty?'" - Malachi 3:14 (NIV)

The answer is - everything.

"O greedy men, what will satisfy you, if God Himself will not?" - St. Augustine

"Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favour and honour; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." - Psalm 84:10-12 (NIV)

Besides, instead of asking "What can we gain for ourselves?", we should be asking

"What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?" - Luke 9:25 (NIV)

and

"But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand." - 1 Chronicles 29:14 (NIV)

And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Saviour's blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain
For me, who Him to death pursued!

Amazing love! How can it be
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
Amazing love! How can it be
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment