Friday 3 December 2010

Training vs 'Tekan'

Today one of our trainers said that whether something is training or 'tekan' (Malay for 'punishment') depends on our attitude.

We think that doing 20 push-ups for exercise is training, while doing 20 push-ups for being tardy is 'tekan'. So what's the difference? It's not the act of doing 20 push-ups. It's the context in which the 20 push-ups are done.

But even if we end up doing 20 push-ups for being tardy, isn't it still a form of training? Doing 20 push-ups can be seen as training (positive) or 'tekan' (negative). It depends on how we look at it.

"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." - Hebrews 12:11 (NIV)

Trials vs Temptations

So it is with the will of God. Whether something is a trial or a temptation depends on our attitude. More precisely, whether a trial becomes a temptation depends on our attitude.

1. God does not tempt us.

"When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone." - James 1:13 (NIV)

2. Nevertheless, God puts us through trials to test our faithfulness to Him and - more importantly - to prove His faithfulness to us.

"But if I go to the east, he is not there; if I go to the west, I do not find him. When he is at work in the north, I do not see him; when he turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of him. But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold." - Job 23:8-10 (NIV)

3. A trial becomes a temptation when we start blaming it on ourselves, others and ultimately God.

"But each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed." - James 1:14 (NIV)

Something which we do not want can be seen as a trial (positive) or a temptation (negative). It depends on how we look at it.

""Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised." In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing." - Job 1:21-22 (NIV)

""Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" In all this, Job did not sin in what he said." - Job 2:10 (NIV)

"Then Job replied to the LORD: "I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted. You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?' Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know. You said, 'Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you, and you shall answer me.' My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes."" - Job 42:1-6 (NIV)

4. Even then, God in His sovereignty and mercy will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear.

"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

5. Furthermore, even when we are tempted and fall to temptation, God works our free choices for His glory and our good - if we repent and return to Him.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." - Romans 8:28 (NIV)

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged
Take it to the Lord in prayer

Can we find a friend so faithful?
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness
Take it to the Lord in prayer

"Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathise with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." - Hebrews 4:14-16 (NIV)

Links: Discipline and Security (23 Oct 10), True Training (25 Oct 10), Training and Development (14 Nov 10)

1 comment: