Wednesday 26 May 2010

The Obedience of the Will

The supreme example outside that of our Lord himself, of a man willing against his own will, in obedience to God, is Abraham. He was asked to sacrifice Isaac, his only son - and this, in the face of all God's promises about descendants. Abraham was to tie the boy down on top of a pile of kindling on an altar. This he did (with what anguish we can only imagine), and only then, when with the knife poised he had triumphantly passed the hardest test of faith, did God show him that his son's death was not finally required.

- Elisabeth Elliot, A Slow and Certain Light

When I'm faced with anguished choice
I will listen for Your voice
And I'll stand on every promise of Your Word

Through this dark and troubled land
You will guide me with Your hand
As I stand on every promise of Your Word

And You've promised to complete
Every work begun in me
So I'll stand on every promise of Your Word

Links: Trust and Obey (30 May 10), Genesis 24 (3 Jun 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment