Thursday 13 May 2010

Let Thy will be done

Now, what God requires of those who seek His face is "a right intention" - a deliberate, a resigned, a joyful acceptance of His good and perfect will. All true prayer must fall back upon the great atonement, in which the Man of Sorrows translated into "active passion" the supplication of His agony.

"My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will" (Matthew 26:39). He has transmitted to us His own prayer and we offer it in the power of His sacrifice. "This, then, is how you should pray: 'Our Father in heaven... your will be done'" (Matthew 6:9-10).

Lord, here I hold within my trembling hand,
This will of mine - a thing which seemeth small;
And only Thou, O Christ, canst understand
How, when I yield Thee this, I yield mine all.

It hath been wet with tears, and stained with sighs,
Clenched in my grasp till beauty has it none;
Now, from Thy footstool where it prostrate lies
The prayer ascendeth, Let Thy will be done.

- David M'Intyre, The Hidden Life of Prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment