Monday 18 January 2010

Housemates, Relationships and the Will of God

*For Joe, Nathan and Peter*

It's 3am on Monday morning and I've just been having a theological discussion with my 3 housemates (4 guys including myself) for the past 3 hours.

In my experience, theological discussions generally end up being about one or more of the following:

1. Predestination and Free Will
2. (Male-Female) Complementarianism
3. (Boy-Girl) Relationships
4. Gifts of the Spirit
5. Baptism
6. Denominations
7. Churches and Parachurch Organisations

This time round, our theological discussion touched on all of the above.

"Can two walk together, except they be agreed?" - Amos 3:3 (KJV)

About a year ago, I wrote that being with another Christian is a necessary but not a sufficient condition for a relationship to be according to the will of God. In other words, there is more to being in a relationship than merely being with another Christian.

After a year of searching the Scriptures, reading and reflection, and theological discussions with different people, I think that a relationship cannot be according to the will of God if both parties disagree on major theological issues.

"Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." - Galatians 1:10 (NIV)

If you cannot even work through theological issues with your (future) spouse, how much more will you not be able to work through theological issues with anyone who is not your (future) spouse!

Link: Oxen and Donkeys (7 Apr 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment