Sunday 6 September 2009

waiting in the Psalms

"Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation." - Psalm 5:1-3 (NIV)

"I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD." - Psalm 40:1-3 (NIV)

"Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD; O Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy. If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness; therefore you are feared. I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning." - Psalm 130:1-6 (NIV)

*****

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - Matthew 7:7-11 (NIV)

"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" - Luke 11:9-13 (NIV)

it is interesting to compare the parallel passages Matthew 7:7-11 and Luke 11:9-13. Matthew 7:11 says that God gives good gifts to those who ask Him, while Luke 11:13 says that God gives the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him.

as pastor andrew pointed out at friday's prayer meeting - more than anything else, God gives us the promised Holy Spirit (the best gift) to cheer and to guide, to equip us for every good work, to enable us to test and approve His good, pleasing and perfect will.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning, new mercies I see
All I have needed, Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

*****

In reality, most of us judge our insides by other people's outsides. The pressure to conform to unwritten timelines set by society is intense. However, comparing ourselves to others only leads to jealousy, envy, competition and discouragement.

There comes a time when we must leave the driving of our dream to God. He has established a unique timeline for our life. Our lives are similar to fruit-bearing trees; different kinds of fruit ripen and mature at different seasons.

Similarly, we each have a timetable wherein we blossom and ripen into the purposes of God. The Bible declares, "He has made everything beautiful in its time" (Ecclesiastes 3:11, AMP). The rate at which our life's purpose is achieved is not always determined by our own efforts or schedules; it is also based on God's divine timing.

- Marlinda Ireland, What is God Waiting For?: Understanding Divine Delays in Your Life

link: the right thing at the right time (10 jun 09)

No comments:

Post a Comment