Sunday 13 September 2009

in all things

the purposes of God

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.

"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

- Isaiah 55:8-11 (NIV)

God purposes to rehab, renew and restart creation to reflect His glory.

"But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations." - Psalm 33:11 (NIV)

the promises of God

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

God promises to redeem us, that He might work in us and through us to accomplish His purposes.

"For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God." - 2 Corinthians 1:20 (NIV)

the providence of God

I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."

The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. It is good for a man to bear the yoke while he is young.

- Lamentations 3:19-27 (NIV)

God provides all that we need, in accordance with His promises, to accomplish His purposes. and so we are back at where we started, the purposes of God.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." - Romans 8:28 (NIV)

link: the LORD is my portion (23 aug 09)

No comments:

Post a Comment