Friday 4 February 2011

Out of the Harbour


"A ship is safe in harbour, but that's not what ships are for." - William Shedd

What will you do if you are standing at a crossroad in life and God calls you to leave familiar surroundings for an adventure with Him?

In this book, Out of the Harbour, Jiamin Choo reveals her most intimate and candid moments from 25 handwritten journals penned over six years to share the life of a young person who, fresh out of school, obeyed God's call to choose the path less trodden and serve in full-time missions... on board Doulos, the World's Oldest Ocean-Going Passenger Ship built in 1914.

- outoftheharbour.com

I happen to be in the same church (and cell group!) as Jiamin and I've had the privilege of getting a sneak preview of the book. It is a powerful testimony of God's protection, provision and providence in the life of one who seeks to do His will. It is also quite cool to know a published author personally :)

Captains of Lives

Incidentally, I first came across the quote by William Shedd (who by the way was a Presbyterian theologian) during my very first internship with Prisons way back in Nov 06 to Jul 07. I think it was used in one of the Department's ship-themed posters or something.

I wouldn't say that the quote made me decide to join Prisons, but it led me (at 20 years of age and fresh out of NS) to reflect further on what I wanted to do with the rest of my life.

And so the journey begins has begun...

*****

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

No comments:

Post a Comment