Friday 27 January 2012

HOB


A week or so ago, I received an email from Toby telling the rest of us (who used to stay in HOB) that 13 Kexby Avenue had been put up for sale. And it looks like the place has already been sold. I wonder whether there will still be students living here come the next academic year.

As the house of 3 bearded Brits (and myself) - hence the moniker HOB, 13 Kexby Avenue had all that we could have asked for. A huge garage in which we once held a party (and never again), an attic (which happened to be my room - or rather, where I slept) with a view of York Minster, even a pear tree in the garden which we never watered yet bore us pesticide-free fruit. Not to mention the great location just off campus, opposite The Retreat. But what makes HOB more than a house are the memories.

As an international student, I had the option of staying on campus for the duration of my degree. But in the middle of my first year on campus I started praying for housemates and God just provided 3 incredible housemates as well as a house for us at 13 Kexby Avenue - out of nothing!

HOB has been used for standard student activities such as curry nights, movie nights and Mario Kart nights. In God's providence, HOB has also been used for late night worship and theological discussions (very late night/overnight), early morning prayer meetings, Small Group Leaders' Own Bible Study (SLOBS@HOB), Christian Union grub crawls, house parties (HOB Presents), New Word Alive reunions and a few unforgettable conversations :)

13 Kexby Avenue will never be HOB again, but it was an amazing experience while it was.


"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24:15 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment