Saturday 15 January 2011

Scarcity, Choice and Opportunity Cost

Since the start of the year, I've had the joy of attending two weddings of childhood friends over the past two weekends. So this weekend feels slightly empty in comparison.

Speaking of weddings, one of the regrets I have about not being in the UK this year is that I won't be able to attend my ex-housemate's wedding in London at the end of Feb. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, God has shown me that Jul 10 was exactly the right time for me to return to Singapore. Even as I won't be able to attend my ex-housemate's wedding because I'm in Singapore, being in Singapore has given me many opportunities (including attending at least two weddings) which I wouldn't have had if I was still studying in the UK.

As we learn in Economics 101, we are limited beings with limited resources. Every choice we make involves an opportunity cost. For example, I cannot be in Singapore and the UK at the same time. If I'm in Singapore, I cannot be in the UK. If I'm in the UK, I cannot be in Singapore. And so on.

There is no end to asking "what if" questions. At the end of the day, the will of God is not about "what if" but "what is".

"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." - Micah 6:8 (NIV)

We cannot have the best of both (or more) worlds. But if we trust God, we can know that out of all the possible worlds which He could have created, this is the best possible world in which all things work for His glory and our good!

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." - Romans 8:28 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment