Friday 7 January 2011

Bob Kauflin on Music

*From Toby's blog*

I have no doubt we love music. But do we love music for God's sake or for ours?

The Psalmist says in Psalm 73, "Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Idolatry happens when there's anything else on earth that we desire more than God. When something besides God becomes the strength of my heart and my portion. When I think that something besides God can fully satisfy me, make me ultimately happy, or has the right to rule my life. When we look to music for the joy, comfort, power, and satisfaction only God can give.

Music is useful, but not necessary. Music is good. But Jesus is better. Music is a gift. But not a god.

Every gift of God is meant to deepen our relationship with God and create fresh affection for him. Not replace him.

Music isn't my life. Christ is.

- Bob Kauflin, Music - Gift or God?

No comments:

Post a Comment