Friday 5 November 2010

Remember, remember the 5th of November

405 years ago, Guy Fawkes - who was baptised as an infant in York no less - tried (and failed) to blow up the House of Lords.

4 years ago, I completed my NS on 5 Nov 06.

What do you remember? The affliction and the wandering? The bitterness and the gall? Or the LORD's great faithfulness, mercy and love?

"I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:

"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."" - Lamentations 3:19-24 (NIV)

Do Not Forget the LORD

"Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands." - Deuteronomy 8:2 (NIV)

"When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the LORD your God for the good land he has given you. Be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day." - Deuteronomy 8:10-11 (NIV)

"You may say to yourself, "My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me." But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today." - Deuteronomy 8:17-18 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment