Monday 4 October 2010

Work and Worship

So why do we work? There are many biblical reasons for working: economic - to create wealth; financial - to support oneself and a family; personal - to experience fulfillment and significance; social - to avoid being a burden on others; relational - to support other people through collaborative effort.

God is interested in the good of the whole of society. So when I am asked about worship I reply firmly, 'My work station is my worship station.' Worship is the total submission of our whole person to the glory of God as we recognise our dependence on Him. My desk should therefore be a place of worship. Indeed, the Hebrew word for work and worship is the same - avodah. God is our real employer.

In his letter to the Colossians, Paul urges us: 'Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters' (Colossians 3:23). I remember a personal assistant telling me that when she passed the reception desk on her way into work each morning, she reminded herself, 'It is the Lord Christ I serve.' This avoids the danger of settling for satisfactory underperformance. I try to pray every morning as I start work because I want to remind myself that I am not dependent on myself or on any economic system, but on God. Work is a ministry, empowered by God, for the benefit of ourselves and others, and ultimately for His glory.

- Ken Costa, God at Work

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will." - Romans 12:1-2 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment