Sunday 11 July 2010

Prophecies, Predictions and the Will of God

Paul the Octopus has predicted (prophesied?) that Spain will win the World Cup while Mani the Parakeet has picked Holland. Of course, they can't both be right.

"Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God." - 1 Corinthians 1:22-24 (NIV)

We do not know 'the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb' (Ecclesiastes 11:5, NIV). We do not know 'what we ought to pray for' (Romans 8:26, NIV). We do not even know 'what will happen tomorrow' (James 4:14, NIV).

But we know that 'not one [sparrow] will fall to the ground apart from the will of [our] Father' (Matthew 10:29, NIV). Even as 'we see through a glass, darkly' (1 Corinthians 13:12, KJV), we know that

1. "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you." - John 15:7 (NIV)

2. "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." - James 1:5 (NIV)

3. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." - 1 John 1:9 (NIV)

Above all, 'we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose' (Romans 8:28, NIV).

"Based on what you know, trust God for what you do not know." - Ravi Zacharias

If I knew for sure which team would win the World Cup, I might be tempted to place a "bet" (it would not really be a bet) on that team.

"The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law." - Deuteronomy 29:29 (NIV)

How much more then, since we know for sure that Jesus will return to 'judge the living and the dead' (2 Timothy 4:1, NIV), should we put our trust in Him!

The LORD, Not Idols

"This is what the LORD says - Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.

"Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come - yes, let him foretell what will come.

"Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one." - Isaiah 44:6-8 (NIV)

Link: The Knowledge of the Holy (7 Jul 10)

1 comment: