Friday 16 July 2010

Final Reflections

*This is from my sharing at York Baptist Church last Sun, my last Sun in York.*

5 years ago, in 2005, I applied to study Philosophy, Politics and Economics in the UK. The university which I really wanted an offer from was Oxford. I didn't get it. But God did give me an offer from York. After completing 22 months of national service from Jan 05 to Nov 06, I did an 8-month internship with the Singapore Prison Service (a bit more on this later) and came to York in Oct 07.

Over the past 3 years in York, I have made many friends and been part of two wonderful bodies of believers - the Christian Union on campus and, of course, York Baptist Church. I have also had the opportunity to attend a number of Christian conferences in the UK such as New Word Alive and the Keswick Convention.

In the book of Acts, Paul proclaims that 'from one man [God] made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live' (Acts 17:26, NIV). I thank God for giving me 3 amazing years in York. Just last week, I found out that I got a first for my degree, solely by God's grace. Above all, God is faithful and His hand has provided all I have needed, from funding and housing to food and clothing - especially warm clothing, given the cold weather up North!

9 months ago, I wrote on my blog that

During my national service from Jan 05 to Nov 06, I spent most of my time hoping that I could disrupt from national service and come to York in Oct 05, or at least Oct 06. But looking back, Oct 07 was exactly the right time for me to come to York. Going mysteriously forward, I trust that Jul 10 will be exactly the right time for me to return to Singapore.

I have been studying in York for the past 3 years on a Singapore Government Scholarship and will be bonded to the Singapore Prison Service for the next 6 years after I graduate. I did pray about the possibility of staying in York for another year to do a Masters. While I was unsuccessful in my application for Masters funding last summer, God has gradually given me a peace about returning to Singapore to start work this year, a peace 'which transcends all understanding' (Philippians 4:7, NIV).

I hope to come back and visit York sometime, God willing. Meanwhile, I thank God for His daily mercies and trust that His will is exactly what I would desire if I knew all the facts.

"I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:

"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."" - Lamentations 3:19-24 (NIV)

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father
There is no shadow of turning with Thee
Thou changest not; Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning, new mercies I see
All I have needed, Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside

Links: There is a time for everything (11 Aug 10), Rehab, Renew, Restart (13 Sep 10), Proverbs 24:27 (25 Sep 10)

2 comments:

  1. This post is a great piece of encourgement. Will continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks reuben! i'll continue to follow your blog and pray for your plans for the year ahead too

    ReplyDelete