Monday 7 December 2009

Idols of the Heart

Talking to myself I inquired, "Why are you so down?" I discovered that it was because of ___. Pondering why ___ had such an impact upon me, I came to the realisation that ___ had become an idol in my life. An idol is someone or something that one looks to meet the thirsts of the heart. There was nothing wrong with ___, but I needed to get my heart right with God.

The Lord drew my attention to 1 Corinthians 10:14, which contains the command to "flee from idolatry".

- Bill Thrasher, Believing God for His Best

"And God spoke all these words: "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below."" - Exodus 20:1-4 (NIV)

"Who may ascend the hill of the LORD? Who may stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false. He will receive blessing from the LORD and vindication from God his Saviour. Such is the generation of those who seek him, who seek your face, O God of Jacob." - Psalm 24:3-6 (NIV)

"Some of the elders of Israel came to me and sat down in front of me. Then the word of the LORD came to me: "Son of man, these men have set up idols in their hearts and put wicked stumbling blocks before their faces. Should I let them inquire of me at all? Therefore speak to them and tell them, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: When any Israelite sets up idols in his heart and puts a wicked stumbling block before his face and then goes to a prophet, I the LORD will answer him myself in keeping with his great idolatry.'" - Ezekiel 14:1-4 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment