Monday 29 December 2008

the seventh saying of the saviour on the cross

'Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.' This was the last utterance of the Saviour ere he expired. While he hung upon the cross, seven times his lips moved in speech. Seven is the number of completeness or perfection. At Calvary then, as everywhere, the perfections of the Blessed One were displayed. Seven is also the number of rest in a finished work: in six days God made heaven and earth and in the seventh he rested, contemplating with satisfaction that which he had pronounced 'very good'.

So here with Christ: a work had been given him to do, and that work was now done. Just as the sixth day brought the work of creation and reconstruction to a completion, so the sixth utterance of the Saviour was 'It is finished.' And just as the seventh day was the day of rest and satisfaction, so the seventh utterance of the Saviour brings him to the place of rest - the Father's hands.

- A.W. Pink, Seven Sayings of the Saviour on the Cross

*****

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." - Luke 23:34 (NIV)

"I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." - Luke 23:43 (NIV)

"Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home." - John 19:25-27 (NIV)

"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" - Matthew 27:46 (NIV)

"I am thirsty." - John 19:28 (NIV)

"It is finished." - John 19:30 (NIV)

"Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." - Luke 23:46 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment