Friday 19 September 2008

tuesdays with morrie

living and dying

"When you know how to die, you know how to live." - Morrie Schwartz

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." - Philippians 1:21 (NIV)

love one another

"We must love one another or die." - W.H. Auden, quoted by Morrie Schwartz

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." - John 13:34-35 (NIV)

love always wins

One afternoon, I am complaining about the confusion of my age, what is expected of me versus what I want for myself.

"Have I told you about the tension of opposites?" he says.

"The tension of opposites?"

"Life is a series of pulls back and forth. You want to do one thing, but you are bound to do something else. Something hurts you, yet you know it shouldn't. You take certain things for granted, even when you know you should never take anything for granted.

"A tension of opposites, like a pull on a rubber band. And most of us live somewhere in the middle."

"Sounds like a wrestling match," I say.

"A wrestling match." He laughs. "Yes, you could describe life that way."

"So which side wins?" I ask.

"Which side wins?"

He smiles at me, the crinkled eyes, the crooked teeth.

"Love wins. Love always wins."

"Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbour as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbour. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law." - Romans 13:8-10 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment