Thursday 12 April 2012

The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard (Matthew 20:1-16)

The workers who were hired about the eleventh hour came and each received a denarius. So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. "These men who were hired last worked only one hour," they said, "and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day."

But he answered one of them, "Friend, I am not being unfair to you. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius? Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?"

So the last will be first, and the first will be last.

- Matthew 20:9-16 (NIV)

The grace of God amazes penitent sinners - and alarms proud saints!

Penitent sinners cry out, "I'm so bad - surely God can't love me. Yet He does!" Grace amazes them!

Proud saints call out, "I'm so good - surely God would be impressed by me. Yet He isn't!" Grace alarms them!

Our view of God exposes the true condition of our heart. If you were to ask the vineyard workers what they thought of the vineyard owner, you would receive totally different answers depending on who you asked - the late 5pm workers or the early 6am workers...

Failing to understand God's grace, we are often calculative, competitive and conceited. Understanding God's grace, we are contented!

- Edmund Chan, Growing Deep in Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment