Sunday 19 February 2012

Working for the Lord

When I speak publicly, I will often ask the audience, "If you are a full-time minister, please raise your hand." Normally I see only a small number of hands raised. Usually there are a few ministers in the audience who feel proud to raise their hands. I often call them out specifically and often ask for a round of applause. Like Isaiah was willing to heed the call, so they have been willing to be full-time in their commitment to Christian service.

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"" - Isaiah 6:8 (NIV)

We should honour our ministers. They have been willing to step forward; they have been willing to commit their lives and full-time professions to the presentation of the gospel.

Often there are a few who sense where I'm going when I ask the "full-time minister" question. I'll then read Colossians 3:23-24 and ask the question again. More hands rise. I'll then read it again and exhort them that if they are Christians, they have committed themselves to be 100 percent, full-time Christians in everything they do.

- Pat Gelsinger, The Juggling Act: Bringing Balance to Your Faith, Family, and Work

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." - Colossians 3:23-24 (NIV)

Incidentally, Colossians 3:23-24 is my church's memory verse for the month on Feb. Perhaps it'll be my personal verse(s) of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment