Monday 25 April 2011

Clothed with Christ

Yesterday's Easter Sunday message in church was based on Luke 15:19-24, the parable of the lost son.

On one level, the father's lavish grace towards his lost son is a picture of God's lavish grace towards His lost children (ie. us).

On another level, the older brother's anger at his father welcoming his younger brother home parallels the Pharisees' anger at Jesus 'welcom[ing] sinners and eat[ing] with them' (Luke 15:2, NIV).

On yet another level, the symbols used in the parable of the lost son allude to God's everlasting covenant (cf. Ezekiel 16). Notice how Ezekiel 16 ends:

"'So I will establish my covenant with you, and you will know that I am the LORD.'" - Ezekiel 16:62 (NIV)

1. The father's servants bring the best robe, a ring and sandals for his lost son (cf. Ezekiel 16:9-10).

"But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate." - Luke 15:22-24 (NIV)

"'I bathed you with water and washed the blood from you and put ointments on you. I clothed you with an embroidered dress and put leather sandals on you. I dressed you in fine linen and covered you with costly garments.'" - Ezekiel 16:9-10 (NIV)

2. Abraham's servant gives Rebekah jewellery and clothing (cf. Ezekiel 16:11-14).

Laban and Bethuel answered, "This is from the LORD; we can say nothing to you one way or the other. Here is Rebekah; take her and go, and let her become the wife of your master's son, as the Lord has directed."

When Abraham's servant heard what they said, he bowed down to the ground before the LORD. Then the servant brought out gold and silver jewellery and articles of clothing and gave them to Rebekah; he also gave costly gifts to her brother and to her mother. Then he and the men who were with him ate and drank and spent the night there.

- Genesis 24:50-54 (NIV)

"'I adorned you with jewellery: I put bracelets on your arms and a necklace around your neck, and I put a ring on your nose, earrings on your ears and a beautiful crown on your head. So you were adorned with gold and silver; your clothes were of fine linen and costly fabric and embroidered cloth. Your food was fine flour, honey and olive oil. You became very beautiful and rose to be a queen. And your fame spread among the nations on account of your beauty, because the splendour I had given you made your beauty perfect, declares the Sovereign LORD.'" - Ezekiel 16:11-14 (NIV)

3. Boaz covers Ruth with his garment (cf. Ezekiel 16:8).

When Boaz had finished eating and drinking and was in good spirits, he went over to lie down at the far end of the grain pile. Ruth approached quietly, uncovered his feet and lay down. In the middle of the night something startled the man, and he turned and discovered a woman lying at his feet.

"Who are you?" he asked.

"I am your servant Ruth," she said. "Spread the corner of your garment over me, since you are a kinsman-redeemer."

"The LORD bless you, my daughter," he replied. "This kindness is greater than that which you showed earlier: You have not run after the younger men, whether rich or poor. And now, my daughter, don't be afraid. I will do for you all you ask. All my fellow townsmen know that you are a woman of noble character."

- Ruth 3:7-11 (NIV)

"'Later I passed by, and when I looked at you and saw that you were old enough for love, I spread the corner of my garment over you and covered your nakedness. I gave you my solemn oath and entered into a covenant with you, declares the Sovereign LORD, and you became mine.'" - Ezekiel 16:8 (NIV)

Again, notice how Ezekiel 16 ends:

"'So I will establish my covenant with you, and you will know that I am the LORD.'" - Ezekiel 16:62 (NIV)

*****

On one level, Proverbs 31:10-31 refers to the wife of noble character.

On another level, Proverbs 31:10-31 refers to Ruth.

On yet another level, Proverbs 31:10-31 refers to the Church, the bride of Christ.

Do we bring Christ good, not harm, all the days of our lives? (v12)

Do we open our arms to the poor and extend our hands to the needy? (v20)

Do we speak with wisdom and instruct faithfully? (v26)

Do we watch over the affairs of our households and not eat the bread of idleness? (v27)

Above all, do we fear the LORD? (v30)

*****

4. The angel of the LORD - the LORD Himself - clothes Joshua with rich garments.

[In the Old Testament, "an" angel of the LORD refers to a messenger of the LORD, while "the" angel of the LORD refers to the LORD Himself (Jesus in His pre-incarnate form).]

Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right side to accuse him. The LORD said to Satan, "The LORD rebuke you, Satan! The LORD, who has chosen Jerusalem, rebuke you! Is not this man a burning stick snatched from the fire?"

Now Joshua was dressed in filthy clothes as he stood before the angel. The angel said to those who were standing before him, "Take off his filthy clothes."

Then he said to Joshua, "See, I have taken away your sin, and I will put rich garments on you."

- Zechariah 3:1-4 (NIV)

The angel of the LORD and the LORD are one and the same!

5. God clothes Adam and Eve with garments of skin.

"The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them." - Genesis 3:21 (NIV)

6. God clothes us with garments of salvation.

"I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." - Isaiah 61:10 (NIV)

Sounds familiar. Where have we heard this - a bride adorning herself with her jewels - before?

7. God clothes us with robes washed in the blood of the Lamb.

Then one of the elders asked me, "These in white robes - who are they, and where did they come from?"

I answered, "Sir, you know."

And he said, "These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb."

- Revelation 7:13-14 (NIV)

New Creation, New Clothes

"For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life." - 2 Corinthians 5:4 (NIV)

"I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband." - Revelation 21:2 (NIV)

"Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city." - Revelation 22:14 (NIV)

Links: Crucified with Christ (22 Apr 11), Raised with Christ (24 Apr 11)

No comments:

Post a Comment