Monday 30 November 2009

Even More Perspectives on Prisons

The Law

"The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." - Romans 1:18-20 (NIV)

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." - Romans 3:23 (NIV)

"So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God - through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin." - Romans 7:21-25 (NIV)

The Gospel

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit." - Romans 8:1-4 (NIV)

"Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died - more than that, who was raised to life - is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us." - Romans 8:33-34 (NIV)

"That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." - Romans 10:9 (NIV)

Rehab, Renew and Restart

God purposes to rehab, renew and restart creation to reflect His glory. He does this in and through Christ - 'the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep' (1 Corinthians 15:20, NIV), 'the firstborn from among the dead' (Colossians 1:18, NIV) - who 'was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification' (Romans 4:25, NIV).

Just as the cross is meaningless without the resurrection, convictions are meaningless without rehabilitation. Rehabilitation vindicates inmates' penal convictions, just as the resurrection vindicates Christ's penal substitution for us on the cross.

And Can It Be

Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature's night
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light

My chains fell off, my heart was free
I rose, went forth and followed Thee
My chains fell off, my heart was free
I rose, went forth and followed Thee

O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing

He breaks the power of cancelled sin
He sets the prisoner free
He sets the prisoner free

His blood can make the foulest clean
His blood availed for me
His blood availed for me
His blood, His blood availed for me

To God be the Glory

O perfect redemption, the purchase of blood
To every believer the promise of God
The vilest offender who truly believes
That moment from Jesus a pardon receives

Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!
Let the earth hear His voice!
Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!
Let the people rejoice!

O come to the Father, through Jesus the Son
And give Him the glory, great things He hath done

Links: Perspectives on Prisons (24 Nov 09), More Perspectives on Prisons (27 Nov 09)

No comments:

Post a Comment