Saturday 30 August 2008

the sin of doctrinal pride

If your Calvinism or Arminianism or dispensationalism, or your view concerning the end times, or your disdain for all doctrinal beliefs causes you to feel doctrinally superior to those who hold other views, then you are probably guilty of the sin of doctrinal pride. I'm not suggesting that we should not seek to know the truths of Scripture and develop doctrinal convictions about what the Scriptures teach; I am saying that we should hold our convictions in humility, realising that many godly and theologically capable people hold other convictions.

I was once asked to comment about a book that taught a system of sanctification with which I strongly disagree. In my letter, I wrote the following: "Please note that I am saying 'things with which I disagree,' not things wherein he [the author] is wrong. I may find out when I get to heaven that I am the one who was wrong."

Now, having written that, does it mean my convictions are less strong than before? Not at all. If anything, after having read the book, my convictions were stronger. But it does mean that I want to hold my convictions with humility and treat the author of the book with the same respect I would treat people whose doctrine of sanctification is the same as mine. (I realise that in using myself as an example of the humility we should practice, I can appear to be "proud of my humility." I trust such is not the case, and I know there are other occasions when I have not been as generous and respectful toward those with whom I disagree.)

- Jerry Bridges, Respectable Sins

No comments:

Post a Comment